Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

If anyone wants to know why I am so worried about the direction America is going RIGHT NOW ... I would like to recommend a book to you. It is a book published back in 1957 and is considered to be a classic .... although "Fountainhead" is the book more people read. The book is "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand ..... Get it! Read it!!

I read this book back when I was 22 years old .... so ... 1982 .... and I never ever in my life thought such a thing could happen in America. And yet .... here it is ... happening right now .... under MY watch. I am shocked and very disgusted.

Atlas Shrugged has been my #1 favorite book of all time ever since 1982. My second favorite book?? "The Stand" by Stephen King. So I am not an elitist snob .... no self-respecting elitist snob would list a Stephen King book as a Favorite. Yet both books have a very basic, universal theme .... Good vs Evil .... Right vs Wrong. I choose Good and I choose RIGHT.


So ... if you want to discuss Obama with me ... and want to discuss what is happening in America right now ... I ask that you first read or re-read Atlas Shrugged. And unless you can tell me who John Galt is ... what he did ... and what actor would best portray him in a movie of the book .... then I don't consider you worthy of an intelligent conversation on the topic. Now THERE is an elitist attitude!! And if you in turn would like for me to read the Communist Manifesto or Das Kapital so that I can understand YOUR point of view ... well, I would be happy to do so.


I have read Atlas Shrugged probably 3 or 4 times ... but this time I am listening to it on my waterproof iPod while I swim ... and do elliptical .... and I find myself gasping out loud at the amazing parallels to what is happening right now!!! It is almost like Obama and Congress read this book and USED it as a blueprint for how to destroy America!!! It is frightening in the parallels .... yet it was written back in the 50's. Trains and Steel were king ... andd cigarettes were considered to be fine at the time .... it was a very different world ... however, the overall truth and meaning shines through ....

I have forgotten much of the book ... so I am really enjoying listening to it ... but at the same time, it scares me even more when I compare it to the daily news of 2009.

If they do make a movie of Atlas Shrugged, I hear Angelina Jolie will play Dagney .... now I cannot listen to it without imagining her in that role. But don't wait for the movie ... it may never be made ....

Get the book ... READ IT .... then talk to me.

I double dog dare you!


No comments: