Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Paranoia Attacks ....

Okay .... so call me paranoid .... BUT .... recently, I have had the hardest time depositing or even cashing what I believe to be a legitimate check from Ft. Worth ISD.

I run a business and as part of my business, I sell DVD's to help students who are having trouble passing the Exit level TAKS Math Test here in Texas. Here is a link to my DVD's. I mainly intended them to be bought and used by individuals .... but several school districts with migrant programs have invested in the DVD to help kids who move into Texas mid-school year and need to be brought up to speed to pass the TAKS. Ft. Worth ISD bought some DVD's and test booklets two months ago and I fnally got a check last week for $350 .... made out to Math-Matters, my business.

So ... since 2005, I have had what I thought was a business checking account with my Credit Union. I run all my checks and business expenses through that account and also keep detailed track of it in Quickbooks. I file with the IRS every year and pay income and SS taxes (unlike the new HEAD OF THE IRS!!!! Great Choice Obama!! Makes me feel so secure in your ability to surround yourself with quality people!!!) even though it would probably be VERY EASY for me to fly under the radar of Taxes because I run mostly a cash business. I also pay State Sales Taxes when due .... but Schools are Sales Tax exempt ... and I keep their Purchase Orders and Tax numbers and all of that. Since 2005, I have been depositing checks made out to me and/or to Math-Matters into this Checking account ... which I had set up with legal DBA (Doing Business As) papers.

So ... on Monday, I went to my bank to deposit the check from Ft.Worth ISD ... and my bank would not take it! I was in the Drive-thru .... listening to Rush Limbaugh on the radio .... and I saw the tellers glance at each other when I sent the deposit through ((this is where the paranoia comes in ...)) ... and my first thought was 'They don't like that I am listening to Rush and they can hear it through my car window and their intercom.' Next thing I notice is that the woman handling my deposit is on the phone and taking intensely while looking at her computer screen and I think ... 'Hmmmmm .... she is talking about ME!! and My Account!!' .... then I thought ... 'Don't be paranoid, Cin!!' .... so several minutes later, she comes over the intercom and tells me that she cannot deposit the Ft. Worth ISD check because my account is not a business account?? She could, however deposit the other $600+ worth of checks into the account because they were made out to me and "they couldn't do anything about that."

I argued that it WAS a business account and that I only use it as a business account and when I set it up, that is what it was! She said I would have to go inside to straighten it out.

Inside they said the same thing!! I needed to open a business account and did I have my DBA paperwork with me? I said no, but that I had used it when setting up the account I have open and which I have been using for years. So .... I had to leave without depositing the Ft. Worth ISD check.

I was disgruntled and complained to my husband when I go home. He suggested that I look at what bank the check was drawn on and go there to cash it ... with DBA papers in hand. So, on Tuesday I went to a local branch of J.P.Morgan/Chase Bank and took my DBA Papers and ID and the check to the cashier. She also refused to cash it and said I would have to meet with a bank manager. So I sat in a little waiting area wondering what the heck was going on!! Next thing I know there is a lady standing beside me and she is backed up by two men in suits and ties. She does not take me to an office or a cubicle and doesn't even look at my paperwork. She tells me that they cannot cash a business check and that I will need to open a business account and deposit it. The two men standing behind her looked like secret service dudes ... they just stood there with hands clasped in front of them ... feet slightly apart ... it was a bit surreal. I told her that my bank told me the same thing ... but that I had been depositing business checks into my account there for years. All I wanted to do was put the money into the bank. I wanted to cash it at Chase and take it to my bank and deposit it ... it's already in my Quickbooks as DVD Sales Income. She still refused and then wanted to know the name of the bank I used. I refused to tell her. She offered again to open a business account for me. I refused. And left.

I drove to my bank where I decided to open a new "business account" but it was closed due to inclement weather. So today ... Wednesday ... I am sure my bank is still closed because today there really is ICE on the roads. I still have the check from Ft. Worth ISD .... and it is still not deposited.

So .... I guess my question is .... Has some law changed in the past week? Say since Jan. 20, 2009? Have I suddenly become a suspicious character? Did someone hear me say "Well if the new Secretary of the Treasury doesn't have to pay his taxes, then I shouldn't have to either!!" And if they did hear me say that, then my home is bugged and so is my car and so is my table at BJ's and so is my Gym .... oopppsss .... guess I have been saying that a lot!!

WELL .... IF THE NEW SECRETARY OF THE TREASURY DOESN'T HAVE TO PAY HIS SELF-EMPLOYMENT TAXES THEN I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO EITHER!!!

Did everyone hear that??

If my bank ever opens up again, I'll get a "business account" and deposit the Ft. Worth ISD check into it. Look!!! I made $350 in 2009!!! Doesn't that qualify me for a tax REBATE???? Bring it on President Obama!! Seems I am severely underpaid!!

Later in the same day ....

Opened the "Business Account" .... the lady at the bank was as clueless as she could be as to why or what or how I needed a new account ... all she could tell me is that my other account was not a business account. I had to open a savings account and MUST maintain a $25 balance in it for some reason. I had to open a checking account but do not need to keep any balance in it. So I deposited the check from FtWISD, $25 of it to savings .... then the rest into checking and I will now go into my account and move the rest into what I consider to be my business account.

SHEESH!!!!




No comments: